My Christmas vacation is quickly coming to a close here in Kentucky/Cincinnati (yes, near where “Peeta” is from). It’s been super cold and snowy, but one thing I’ve missed more than Jay-Z misses Kanye being single is the space and the natural light. My tiny Brooklyn bedroom/apartment doesn’t really afford me any extra light or space, so it has been nice to stretch my little body out. Here are some of my favorite parts of my house:
My mom had this really big “travel” and “vintage” period, and I love these quirky old suitcases because they are simply decor. They serve no purpose aside from making the house feel like a home.
My mom has had these records since she was in high school. That peach box is real, it’s not some prop from Urban Outfitters. How cute?! I’m sure she doesn’t listen to the records anymore, but maybe one day we will.
Between the first picture and this one, you can hopefully tell what my mother’s favorite animal is. She adores elephants. There are elephants in almost every room of the house.
This has been one of my favorite things since I was a kid. My sister and I used to pretend we were the two women in this tapestry and we would make up stories to go along with it. As an adult, I just love the Egyptian influence. Very swank.
At first, being black, the idea of living in the woods seemed like we were breaking all of the horror film rules. After living here for a while I started to feel more in-tune with nature.
Almost like Pocahontas but less hot.The two decks on the front of my house that overlook the stream and my mother’s plant habit bring the outside in at every turn. I’m going to start buying plants for my NYC apartment asap.
And there you have it! All of these lovely things that I just love and plan to miss about my home.
I wanted to call this 13 “blogolutions” or “vlogolutions” for 2013, but that just felt really dumb and so now you’re just getting regular old resolutions. Deal with it, it’s the last slight I’m dealing you in 2012.
1. Post more pictures.…of myself, my apartment, New York, Cincinnati, and everything in between. I made this blog solely with the intention of pushing myself to create and I intend to do a lot more in 2013.
2. Get in shape. I got a headstart on all those “resolutioners” that will be clouding up the gym in the next 2 weeks, but I am pledging to actually stick with it. I bought a yoga mat and everything.
3. Dress. Cooler. I don’t mean be all materialistic, but it’s about time I stopped looking like an explosion at the mall. I have really good taste when I actually take the time, and I miss being that in tune with my personal style. Maybe this blog will even be a little more fashiony…
4. Finish Improv and start Sketch at UCB. I had the biggest blast during Improv 101 this past fall, and I know that it’s what I need to be more successful in the long-run.
5. Post consistent videos and blogs. I have this
awfultypical blogger habit of disappearing for like a week and then just showing back up like I’m a treasured show on NBC. You all deserve better, and I’m going to commit this time.
6. Travel. I haven’t left the country in almost 4 years, and I haven’t done enough continental travel. I will change that. I have some plans to see some friends around the world this year.
7. Learn how to eat. I am not an invalid. I know how to eat. What I mean is learn how the right way. I don’t really know how to cook that many things, and I either go long periods forgetting to eat, or just eat based on whatever chocolate craving I’m having. No more. Me and this body need to get all sympatico.
8. Read even more. In 2012 I vowed to read more, and I have. Sure, doing Tipsy Book Reviews incentivized reading, but I actually really like reading. All that time spent on the subway and in cabs doesn’t have to be spent worrying about what that smell is. I can actually just get lost in stories (but not so lost in stories that I get robbed).
9. Create a web-series. It’s in the works. I just need to work out details like equipment, shooting schedules, and casting. I have a good feeling about it.
10. Make my bed. I always envied those people that would give up an extra 6 minutes a morning to make their bed. I plan on doing that gym thing before work, so maybe it won’t be so hard to do it if I commit to…
11. Go to bed earlier. I’m at this lucky stage in life where my only commitments are my living situation and my job. That’s a great place to be. I need to stop convincing myself that anything good happens after 11pm on Wednesdays and work on actually getting enough sleep.
12. Pay down my debts. Student loans? Yeah, they’re a bitch. This year I’m committing to actually getting rid of a few of them. I want good credit. I want all those adulty things that go with good credit. It’s time to get it done.
13. Meet loads more interesting, amazing, wonderful, complicated human beings. (yes, that photo is Shannon from CoffeyChat) New York is huge. ENORMOUS. I think it’s harder to meet people because of it. I’m going to do it though, I’m going to meet more people who are doing what I want to be doing, and I’m going to learn everything I can from them and hopefully give them some love in return.
Happy New Year. Big Kiss.